Oat is one of the few ingredients that has a surprisingly lengthy history in the beauty world (over 4000 years) and it’s still considered a skincare hero today. We take a look at 10 reasons to love oat extract and why it’s especially beneficial for sensitive, reactive skin.
Oat extract is made from rolled oat kernals, which are then macerated together with a solvent (normally glycerin) and water. Also known as Avena Sativa, oat is a natural ingredient which has an excellent skin-safety record and long history in the treatment skin concerns and complaints. So, what makes this ancient remedy oh so special for your complexion and how can it boost your skincare? Let’s find out…
- Oats contain phospholipids, a natural component of our skin cell walls. They help retain valuable water needed to keep our skin healthy and hydrated.
- This traditional ingredient is also bursting with sterols, which help with collagen protection and synthesis.
- Oats pack a powerful antioxidant punch, namely Vitamin E, helping to protect our skin against free radical damage.
- Oats are exceptionally soothing on skin with added antiviral and antifungal activity to boot.
- Oat extract even possesses skin barrier repairing Omega 5 and 6 fatty acids.
- It is also very fast-acting, bringing instant relief to irritated skin and can be used in masks for a quick soothing fix.
- Considered a gentle, natural ingredient, oat extract is well-tolerated by most skin types.
- Oats contain a carbohydrate called oat β-glucan, that, from a chemical point of view, is akin to hyaluronic acid and behaves in a similar way too.
- During the extraction process, the mucilage obtained works wonders on sunburn.
- Oat extract is one of the star ingredients of DARA’S WATER, our new non-micellar cleansing water. What’s more, the extract that we’ve chosen to include is made-to-order just for us, meaning it contains no added preservatives at all. It’s as skin-kind as can be.
SHOP HEALTHY SKIN